Y The Blog ?

Sunday, July 25, 2004

lack lusture saturday

Well, the day started for me at 10:30am with ashwin's call, this bugger called my mobile phone from some god forsaken landline and deceived me into actually answering the call for, I was expecting some important ones. Did my morning mundane stuff and read "The Hindu" to my heart's content, of late I've started doing justice to that 4/5 Rs. I pay for the daily, I read every word printed on those papers. This exercise normally takes up roughly about 30 to 60 minutes of my invaluable morning time, and more that 60 minutes during the weekends, I simply can't resist.

The morning slipped by and it was lunch time. Well, my pop once again left me home alone, but was kind enough to prepare the lunch for me, pop's cooking standard seems to have improved, the rasam was good but his fancy recipe involving beans and grated coconut was bland, I think he completely forgot about the important ingredient called the common salt, so had to fix it. After a decent lunch, started my little baby on the my lap(notebook, a dell inspiron 2500) to watch a Monty Python movie. The world of Monty Pythons, actually Ramesh re-introduced me to monty python, re-introduce because I faintly remember having seen a Monty Python movie which was a lampoon on figure skating or may be I am confusing it with something else. I've always been a aficionado of british sitcoms in the lines of "Yes Minister" and "Black Adder". So, started watching "Monty Python, Life of brian" which I had picked up from one of my friend.



Monty Python, Life of Brian
The start or rather the title scenes sounded like a sci-fi movie, but the movie was a total surprise. The movie is essentially a spoof over Christianity and it's belief. It can be called blasphemy but so is "Passion of Christ". I am not sure what kind of opposition this movie faced, though. In all I would really call it a farce on Christianity and not on jesus per say. It sounds like the Python is trying to be rebellious in trying to express it's construal of faith and lifestyle of people, particularly, the brit's mentality and cult ideology.
 
Well, in order to enjoy this movie, you have to love British sitcoms, if you are the one that is used to the American slapstick and physical comedy python is not your cup of tea. From what I could understand, the character Brian is an incorruptible and innocent person who wants to join some movement against the Romans, though he beleives that he is a jew but finds from his mother(who sounds & looks like his father, perhaps this is characteristic of the Python) that his father is a Roman(Maximus :-) that in itself is comical ). Soon, Brian joins a group that's against the romans and lands into trouble. Some strange sequence of incidents forces the people to believe that brian is the "Messiah" :-) and later brian and his followers are crucified. All these put together with some cleverly crafted script that stretches stupidity to its limits.

Well, an un-biased opinion from me would be that the movie is not a full-length comedy that everyone could enjoy, It's particularly comical in patches. Some of the scenes that I really enjoyed are: The stoning episode where a guy is pulled up for a punishment of stoning till death because he uttered the name of the Lord "Jehovah". Another one is the last crucifixion scene where brian and co are crucified and they start singing "Bright side of life" :-). The scenes that involve the mob following brian mis-taking him to be the "Messiah", again python picking on the jewish religious sentiments, reminded me of vivek's "poly samiyar" act in the movie "RUN". Also, the scenes involving brian and the "people's movement of Jude" (not the judean people's front :-)) like, the conversation on oppression of Jews and indirectly the eunuch community. There were some particularly annoying stuff as well, The first scene where jesus is delivering a speach while brian and his mother join the gathering, the "big nose" conversation between brian and Mr. big nose :-) sounded rather vacuous. Also, the completely unwanted spaceship part where, for a few minutes brian goes out of space with some aliens and returns back to the same place. I didn't find any element of comedy in them, or perhaps these are typical of Pythons, the mix of satire and insanity. Now, for someone below 18 choosing to see the movie; the movie shows some full frontal nudity and has some frightfully funny foul language :-)

Later in the day.....
Went out to play ping-pong at tidel-park's so called recreation facility, and as always had a big sigh at the truly inviting swimming pool. Came back home, had dinner and hit the bed. Next day, woke up to parul's phone call, once again deceived for, he called from some land line :-(, completely defies the purpose of caller identification.
 

1 Comments:

  • hey. that's a nice thing to watch. infact that's a great movie to watch. other watchables include The Holy grail and the meaning of Life. I remember watching Life of Brian one day and my nani got incredibly shirty about Junoon. had to give into her junoon anyway. and so never got to watch life of brian fully. do get me the cd

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:42 am, July 27, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home