Y The Blog ?

Monday, July 12, 2004

Illayaraja & Mani electrifying combination

One sweet evening, came home at around 8:30pm. No one home, particularly my mom who pisses me off with her never ending list of TV Serials at this time. I normally put up with it because it's my mom, wouldn't do it for anyone else in this life, though. Picked up some hot idlies from vasanth bhavan on my back home from office. With hot idlies drenched in mouth watering sambar on my plate, I switched on the TV and it was KTV- "non stop kondattam", playing "Mouna Raagam" one of my most favourite movie in the "serious" movie category or drama category in similar genre. The movie revolves around the lives of 3 people, revathi,karthick and mohan. Revathi falls in love with karthick; karthick dies unfortunately and revathi is forced to marry mohan. In the aftermath of this marriage the story describes how mohan tries to manage revathi. Movie particularly has a great deal of emotional power play and theatrics.

The biggest attraction is Illayaraja's music, I just don't have words to express this, the very thought of the background music that's played during sequences involving karthick and revathi gives me goose pimples. Particularly, the maestro proves his caliber by converting the same fun filled notes to a slow and melodious one when karthick get's shot and during other remorseful situations in the movie. Also, IR did a distinctive set of background score for sequences involving Mohan and Revathi. And the big bonus, all songs, simply brilliant, the song "Panivizhum nilavu.." is being played as I type these lines. Mohan has done a decent job too; for once he has spared the mike ;-) Oh... this one scene that I hate in the movie, revathi overacting while trying to admit mohan to the hospital, she knows english and most of the doctors/reception too, she simply over does this scene by trying to talk in tamil. It looks like Mani at times likes this over doing of stuff for he repeated the same thing with madhubala in "Roja". Coming to revathi's acting, all said and done revathi has done a commendable job.

In all fairness Mani himself has been instrumental in creating such a beautiful movie. He is in fact the connoisseur when it comes to casting contrasting characters with different objectives in life and perspective to life. If you notice all his movies will have this striking dichotomy. Coming back to the songs in the movie, my favourite song in the movie is "Mandram vantha thendrallukku..." maestro has handled ragam "keeravaani" meticulously for the song. My favourite scenes are "Mr Chandramouli... Mr Chandramouli...scene" and the scene where karthick comes to revathi's class room to return the chain that she mortgages to for his bail, give it to karthick for his natural performance or should I say acting ?

I don’t know why but I’ve got into this habit of reviewing movies, with this blogging phenomenon on, I am finding it really stimulating to write more and more. Let’s us wait and see how far and how long this fascination continues :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home