Y The Blog ?

Friday, February 25, 2005

One of my biggest loss




I lost my Guru/Grandmother/Paatti/Mammu/Gaanamma better known to the outside world as Gynanam Subrahmaniam, today(Sat. Feb. 26 2005,1:30 am). Couple of weeks back she survived a mild heart attack I was told. I spoke to her last week over phone these were the first few lines she told me "Seekaram vandhudu paa mottha vidhwathayam solli koduthidaren". I confidently told her that she is not going anywhere until I learn everything from her. Next week, she is non-existent. F*&@ #&% God.

She was a great musician, unfortunately the industry and to a great extent her family failed to recognise her talent. It is a disgrace that I didn't know her date of birth, but the Internet had it !!! quite surprising. The other details that's shown here, goes to show her calibre in the field of classical carnatic music. It is not easy to become Chembai's disciple and not everyone can compose. She has composed close to 2000 "keerthanais" and many thukadaas/varnams/vrithams. I am really proud and feel blessed to have been her disciple for nearly 17 years. In these 17 years I managed to learn only a small fraction from her, I am deeply disgusted with myself for not exploiting such an opportunity.

Suddenly the musical path in my life seems to have hit a dead end.
07-04-1928 to 26-02-2005

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home