Y The Blog ?

Sunday, October 17, 2004

Wires Wires Everywhere... not any more !

Got my wireless router DLink DL-524 yesterday, setup was as usual a piece of cake. Configured it with WEP inititally and found that there was significant load on the router also experienced some latency. In the end turned off WEP and disabled DHCP, assigned few static IPs and couple of rules to stop the rather inquisitive folks around with a wireless equipment to mess with my network(Vayu). In the process found couple of un-protected wireless network to which I could connect and simply use their resources including their internet bandwidth. One of them had a read/write MS share :-)

Now, I can move around with my notebook anywhere within my place and still be hooked on to the internet, isn't that great ? But, there is one problem I don't have an endless source of battery power. I need to plug my notebook on to a power supply every 3 hours. That sucks, I hate wires :-) That also makes me wonder why we need to have a wire(copper) as a medium for power. Why not use a Plasma Magnet for power? I am not a physics freak but, to me it sounds feasible, of course with my obscenely limited knowledge of physics and it's application one wouldn't attach much weightage to my proposal.

One thing that puts me off is tangled phone wires, particularly the wire that connects the receiver to a phone. Whenever I see such tangled phone wire I feel like grabbing them and fixing them immediately. I need to put a bridle on my irksome attitude now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home