Y The Blog ?

Thursday, October 07, 2004

Uppuma Disaster !

Came home late and really was in no mood to cook. Reluctantly browsed through my cooking storage area and found uppuma ravai. A thought flashed through my mind, I was reminded of the kichaddi that I had in Karpagambal Mess just before leaving for this place. I knew the recipe, pretty simple and straight forward but, never had a chance to make some before.

So, there it all started with heating some ghee and preparing the onions, red chilli, vegetables and the garnishing stuff. The ghee was warm enough for me to add the stuff that I had got ready. After frying the stuff for sometime added some water and salt and let it boil. After the vegetable was cooked properly added some more water and let it boil. This was the most important and delicate phase of making uppuma, a slightest mistake here and you are doomed. So, collecting myself and with all the might, holding the ravai packet on one hand and the karandi on the other, slowly started pouring and stiring simultaneously, I was so impressed with myself that I lost track of the amount of ravai that fell inside pan. That was the first sign of trouble. The thing almost instantaneously turned into a slimy paste. Within minutes the mixture became a thick paste, though that's how the uppuma is supposed to look and feel; there was a major deviation. The ravai was still not cooked properly, it was half cooked and tasted like our regular oats kanji (Porridge). That was when I realized that I had screwed up big time.

Quite obviously the next course of action was to fix the problem. Only way to fix the problem was to boil the uppuma which looked more like a rava-vegetable paste, so pured more water and boiled for 10 minutes. With no avail poured more water and boiled for some more time. The only difference that I could sense was that the level of the uppuma paste was constantly rising. The third time I added more water the uppuma paste reached the brim, that when I realised the amount of ravai I had poured and that I had a "situation" in hand. Things were getting nasty and out of hand. Time was ticking(11:30PM), I had cooked the stuff for close to 45 minutes and the lousy ravai just refused get cooked. My last option was to pressure cook the thing(was nothingth close to uppuma) so, transfered a part of the ravai-paste into my cooker, a part of the paste for I only had cute little 2 litre pressure cooker. It was like half ravai and half water and pressure cooked it. This time was quite confident that the ravai would get cooked. After about 20 minutes, I opened the cooker only to find that there was still some water left and ravai exactly in the same state as what it was when it went in. In the end we didn't have much of a choice but to eat the left over rice from today's morning.

Yeah.. project uppuma was a total disaster. Now, I have a pan full of un-cooked uppuma, I am just wondering what to do with it :-). We had dinner at 12:30 AM and now the time is 1:30 AM, I better get some sleep now :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home