Y The Blog ?

Monday, July 18, 2005

Enjoying the summer !

Normally I don't workout during the weekends, this Saturday I was so bored that I decided to get into the gym and pump some iron. The swimming pool in our apartment complex is very close to the gym. Every time I go past it I find the place overwhelming with activity. Though I am not claustrophobic I wouldn't want to be amidst 20 middle aged american kids shouting at the top of their voice, involving in vandalism and about 10/20 men/women in their late 40s trying to stay afloat and cherising their childhood memory, perhaps. Me with them ? that too in a swimming pool, no way. To my disappointment it is invariably this kind of crowd that occupies the pool area most of the time. This Saturday strangely there weren't many so I decided to take a plunge.

I quickly went home put on my swimming trunks and got to the pool. It had been a quite while since I took to the swimming pool, should be more than a year. Our apartment pool is a modest 50 by 20 meter one with a maximum depth of 5 feet. I expected the water to be cold but it was a little warm, I was not quite sure of the reason. Though many repulsive thoughts crossed my mind while trying to think of a reason but, eventually convinced myself by thinking that the pool was probably climate controlled.

My myopic vision is another big issue while swimming, anything that's beyond couple of meters from me cannot in anyway get my attention. I took couple of deep breaths and dived into the water. I felt as if I had forgotten how to swim. My swimming action was so exasperated that I was displacing more water than covering distance. I also have this strange style, I do like 4/5 rotations of my arms holding my breath and then get my head out badly gasping for air and go with my mouth wide open in an attempt to fill my lungs with as much air as I can. I don't know how bad it looks from outside, but I simply cannot get the graceful action or breathing style that those Olympic swimmers flaunt. I guess it takes more practice, hope I will get it one day.

Another issue surfaced which I was not used to. It was the ~6 inches long hair that I had grown on my head. As long as I was inside the water I was fine, the hair was just floating around in free motion. When I got up they stuck to my face which was a little messy for every time I got on my foot I had to clear my face off the mess to properly see. This got worse for when I tried to swim I could barely see anything that was in front. It was reminiscent of the sequences in the movie Anniyan where the director hangs strands of hair in front of the camera to give the audience Anniyan's perspective. So much for long hair; that makes me wonder if I should give up my long hair for the pleasure of swimming. Anyways, I don't intend to cut my hair anytime soon. I'll probably try a swimming cap or tie my hair properly before making the plunge.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home