Y The Blog ?

Friday, May 20, 2005

Ubiquitous Scratchpad !

Hmm... I wanted to do this, long time back but, once Gmail surfaced I started using it as my ubiquitous scratchpad, lets me search the data too, what more can I ask. With Google's customized home page thing hitting the scene, I just can't imagine how many more ways we can customize/maintain/effectively use our personal data. With all due credit, the "web accelerator" thing from Google sounds a little "evil" to me. It's like the big bypass to the "Internet", how can u be sure if u are getting what you asked for ? Anyways, that a different topic all together.

Electronic Scratchpad ! I've been using them for years. One problem that always lingered was the inability to access it from any place. My pre stone-age scratchpad technique was to quickly jot down stuff on an ascii file stored under my home directory. This however, was becoming difficult to handle, I ended up with different versions at office/home and at other temporary computer facilities that I used and synchronising them was another big pain in the right place(pain in the right place is much more painful). I even tried to find if someone on the internet would give me a gratis cvs account so that I can checkin my scratchpad and control it from anywhere. The problem with cvs was the inability to checkin/checkout from behind a firewall that's out my control. This motivated me to come up with an ubiquitious storage scheme which would simply accept whatever I type and store them without having to do much over http. I initially tried email-to-blogger but, blogger's implementation was so crappy that it would take nearly a week for my emails to appear on the blog and sometime even fail, otherwise, was obscenely inconsistent.

So it was my original idea. They stole it from us ! my precious :-)

Well actually, in all fairness I should say wise people think alike.
Thus, I declare Glen Murphy a wise man ! and all who think like me as wise people.
Yeah you guessed it right, people otherwise refer to me as generosity personified.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home